Friday, January 16, 2009

Brace For Impact!


OK, those are three words that I hope none of us ever have to hear. Imagine what/who would be occupying your thoughts in those final three seconds...on the other hand the passengers really didn't have that much time to do anything but brace themselves. This is once again an example of crisis preparedness (similar to the Air France crash in August 2006 in Toronto where all the passengers and crew also survived). Airlines and aircrews have normalized crisis preparedness and have operationalized the six attributes of crisis leadership that I developed into a predictive model in my dissertation. Those factors are: leadership, culture, mindset, crisis management procedures, communications capabilities and organizational learning.


If the pilot (who I understand is also an accomplished glider pilot) hadn't have normalized these conditions and factors and reviewed and readied himself and his co-pilot for this type of eventuality, I'm not sure that we would have had the same results.


I've seen lots of coverage and communications but I haven't seen anything yet from U.S. Air -- have you heard or seen communications from the company. If so, please give me your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment